Monday, February 18, 2008

Dangerous Decisions

The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the Lord. – Proverbs 16:33

Last weekend, my seven-year-old daughter went to a birthday party at a local fitness center. It is a brand new, and very popular, facility with several rock climbing walls and a swimming pool with two slides. It is a great spot for a party.

However, in order for my daughter to participate, I had to sign a waiver stating that the club was not responsible for negligence in training the staff, providing medical assistance or maintaining the equipment. We have all signed countless waivers saying those providing services are not liable for accidents or known risks associated with different activities, but I have never seen a document excusing someone from negligence. The wording of this form made me question the quality of the facility and its staff.

Suddenly I had a decision to make. Should I sign the waiver and take chances with my daughter’s safety, or subject her to the disappointment of missing the party and questions about why she didn’t attend after saying she would be there.

What would you do? At what point do we, as moms, say, “I know you are disappointed, but this is not worth the risk?”

In this situation, I spoke with a staff member at the facility who assured me that despite the wording of their waiver, all of the staff members helping with the birthday party were certified to work on the rock wall and all were trained in first aid and CPR. Asking some direct questions put my mind at ease and my daughter had a great time at the party.

1 comment:

Robbie Iobst said...

Dianne, I think you exercised logic, concern and common sense. I hope I would do what you would do, but I think I would just sign it without really reading waiver. Your blog was a good cautionary tale for me.