Thursday, October 2, 2008

Getting Un-Stuck In The Moment

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. – Matthew 6:34

My poor husband is stuck. He recently spent three days rebuilding our snow blower, and now he can’t wait for the white stuff to start falling so he can test his handiwork. Every time the weather report comes on the television news he asks, “Any snow in the forecast?” He is so stuck in his longing for snow that he is missing one of the most beautiful autumns we’ve had in years.

However, I realized this week that he is not the only one in our family struggling with this issue. I have been so busy working with the publisher on the final stages of my book that I have been missing the reasons I started writing in the first place. The time I used to spend praising and worshiping God through the written word, and hearing His guidance and direction in the process, has been replaced by a preoccupation with sales projections and marketing plans. I’ve gotten myself stuck in the business of publishing and have been missing the gift of writing.

We all go through phases like this, especially with our kids. How many of us wished away days of early childhood waiting for something more exciting? We look forward to our child’s first step, first word, first day of school, first time we can leave him home alone, first time she drives herself to soccer practice. Before we know it, our kids are heading off for the first semester of college or first apartment. In between all of those firsts is the life we don’t want to miss.

I think tonight I am going to get my husband and kids to go on an after-dinner walk so we can enjoy the warm, golden autumn of the Colorado countryside. We won’t talk about snow, or publishing, or the concerns of tomorrow. We will just enjoy and appreciate the beauty of today.

No comments: