Monday, October 8, 2007

The Coat Question

If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! – Matthew 7:11


Winter is on its way, here in Colorado. We usually get a big snow in October, so I got out all of last year’s winter garb to see what still fit my kids. I’ve always known my children were very different from each other, but their parka’s gave me a visual illustration.

My oldest daughter goes at life with gusto. I tell her that if she doesn’t get dirty and sweaty then she isn’t playing hard enough, and she takes this to heart. On the other hand, my youngest daughter is more interested in dancing than digging. Her clothes are rarely dirty, and the occasional spot is more likely to be from paint than mud.

Their differences presented me with an interesting challenge. Last year’s parka no longer fit my oldest daughter, so normally it would pass down to her sister. However, a permanent grime covered the front and the elbows of the coat. This brown shading never bothered the coat’s first owner, but I knew its next wearer would notice and not be impressed. I also knew she would never complain about it.

I faced a dilemma. Apart from the staining, the old parka was in perfect condition. It even had a pair of matching snow pants (although the knees of the pants matched the elbows of the coat). Would buying my youngest daughter a sparkling clean new parka make me a poor steward of my money or a loving mother? Let’s hear what you think?

1 comment:

Jan Parrish said...

Ugh. I always hated hand-me-downs from my oldest sister. Thankfully, I was bigger than her when I was 5.

I think they should each have something new if it's affordable. I would also buy oldest child a more sports durable color. I hear brown is in this year. :)LOL