Thursday, December 27, 2007

Thoughtful Giving

Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. – 2 Corinthians 9:7

Try as you may, it is impossible to avoid it. You can read the Biblical account of the first Christmas aloud, make your own nativity out of sugar cookies, host a birthday party for Jesus (complete with cake and streamers), serve dinner at a homeless shelter, and pack a box for Operation Christmas Child. However, your child’s favorite part of Christmas will still be the presents!

What’s more, they will be particular about what they receive. My kids decided three days before Christmas this year that they both wanted e-pets, and were disappointed they didn’t get them. They have one grandma who gives too many presents, so my kids always comment on the fact that they only get one or two from their other grandma. Despite my efforts to impart the true meaning of Christmas into their hearts, it all boils down to the presents.

And, I have to confess, in many ways it does for me too. I feel disappointed when I receive a gift that clearly contains little thought from the giver. To me, the fun of giving is considering what would be special to each person as an individual, and taking the effort to find just the right thing. When someone gives me some run-of-the-mill gift that clearly expresses no personal thought or meaning, I feel let down.

I think that from now on I will stop trying so hard to divert my kids’ attention away from the presents, and instead refocus that energy into teaching them how to be thoughtful givers.

How do you handle Christmas giving in your family?

1 comment:

Jan Parrish said...

Once Christmas, Gramma bought such a large amount of gifts that it was embarrassing. The next year we told her only 3 and she bought 5. So the following year we told her one and she bought two and we left it at that. LOL.