Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Stepping Out For A Stretch

For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline. – 2 Timothy 1:7


This weekend, my daughter stepped out of her comfort zone and into a whole new world. My karate and baseball-loving tomboy went to a cheerleading camp. When a flier came home from school advertising the program, I asked if she was interested. “Sure,” she replied. “I’ll give it a try.” Just like that.

When presented with something new, I typically want to know what is involved, what is expected of me, and which of my friends will be there for support. My daughter didn’t ask any questions – she was just open to the new experience.

How many great opportunities do I miss because I simply do not see outside my comfortable little box? I remember when I first became a mom and everything was new and both exciting and scary at the same time. I didn’t need to look beyond my child for opportunities to stretch myself. I had my hands full just trying to keep my daughter fed and in a clean diaper! After a while, however, the daily care of a baby becomes routine. The time you spend simply staring and marveling at her sleeping body dwindles and the everyday caring of our families and homes can become drudgery.

This is precisely why we need to look for new things to try and new experiences to stretch our minds and our senses. I found lots of opportunities for this when I resumed writing and speaking after taking a four-year break when my kids were born. I continually face new challenges with both fear and a sense of thrill.

My daughter had these same sensations at cheerleading camp. When we first arrived, she grabbed onto my leg and quietly said, “There are a lot of kids here.” But when we picked her up five hours later, she said, “This was one of the best days of my life!”

What activities push you out of your comfort zone and encourage you to grow in new ways? Share your favorites.

2 comments:

Robbie Iobst said...

Your daughter has inspired me! I often challenge myself but only after exhaustive, which could mean YEARS of research. I want my boy to be more daring and as I encourage him, it is hard to know when I am pushing or when I am gently suggesting. Any wisdom? Your daughter sounds very balanced and got blessed big time for it!

Robbie Iobst said...

Your daughter has inspired me! I often challenge myself but only after exhaustive, which could mean YEARS of research. I want my boy to be more daring and as I encourage him, it is hard to know when I am pushing or when I am gently suggesting. Any wisdom? Your daughter sounds very balanced and got blessed big time for it!