Thursday, November 20, 2008

Heart Giving

Give generously to him and do so without a grudging heart; then because of this the LORD your God will bless you in all your work and in everything you put your hand to. – Deuteronomy 15:10

Yesterday, I took Alyssa, my five-year-old, to visit my grandmother in a senior rehabilitation center. While we were there, a nurse came into my grandmother’s room and announced it was time for lunch. We decided to continue our visit in the cafeteria.

As soon as we came to the door of the dining room, Alyssa put on the brakes. A room full of elderly, wheelchair-bound strangers was just more than she could face. At my urging, she reluctantly entered the room, clinging to my leg.

Of course, the residents were entranced by the presence of a five-year-old in their midst. They all started whispering, “Oh look—a little girl!” “Isn’t she sweet?” “Isn’t her dress cute?” “Look at that hair!” They wanted her to come closer so they could get a good look and give her little pats on the head.

She was clearly terrified, but she politely greeted everyone who spoke to her and answered all of their questions with great poise and impeccable manners. The faces of the residents lit up as they sat starring at her, transfixed by her little voice. Her presence and her demeanor were gifts to the people struggling to recover from physical injuries. She was scared to be there and really had to work hard to give of herself to the residents, and this made her effort a true gift.

Her selflessness got me thinking about the way I give. I usually pick up simple material gifts that fit my budget and can be purchased at stores that are convenient for me and have hours that fit my schedule. What if, instead, I made an effort to give more of myself—more of my heart and more of my time? What if I gave sacrificially as Jesus taught us. What difference could I make in the lives of those around me?

This Thanksgiving, who can you bless with a gift from your heart?

In recognition of Thanksgiving, I will not post next week. Have a wonderful holiday!

2 comments:

Robbie Iobst said...

Happy Thanksgiving Dianne! I am so thankful for you and your kindness and your blog!

Jan Parrish said...

What a beautiful example of sacrificial giving. Thanks for sharing this story.