Monday, March 17, 2008

Long Distance Memories

Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms. – 1 Peter 4:10

My wonderful aunt is in the process of giving me a gift. I don’t know that she planned to, but in this particular instance, it isn’t the thought that matters. The present she is giving me is a blog.

A couple of years ago, my grandmother moved from an assisted living center in Colorado to my aunt’s house in Arkansas. Bringing her mother into her home was not only very generous and loving of my aunt, but was truly a lifesaver for my grandmother.

The downside of this situation, however, is that I don’t get to see my Nana very often anymore. I don’t talk to her on the phone as much as I’d like to either, partly because there is something of a trick to catching her awake, and partly because her memory started living a life separate from her body several years ago and phone conversations seem to confuse her. One of my favorite things about my grandmother, however, has always been her beautiful voice. Even at 91, her voice still reminds me of a bell when it rings out, “Hello,” so sometimes I call just to hear her music.

Since living in Arkansas, I have missed out on the stories and the little day-to-day slices of my grandmothers life. That recently changed, though, when my aunt started her blog. She writes about the life of a caretaker, including little snippets of personal conversations and insights into my grandmother’s life that I otherwise would never get to share. Her thoughts give me snapshot memories that I can keep for myself or share with my children who may not have many of their own memories of Nana. Who knew that a cold, hard computer could deliver such a precious, heartfelt gift right to my desk?

You can visit my aunt’s blog at worldsbestmother-tucker.blogspot.com for inspiration to start writing down your own memories and experiences for your family. I remember to make note of the cute things my kids say and do, but keep no written history of myself or other family members. Amidst the business of raising kids, I encourage all of us to take a moment periodically to record an event or conversation that our children will cherish when they are grown. Share any ideas you have for doing this!

1 comment:

Robbie Iobst said...

I have no ideas, Dianne, but I just love this blog. What a gift to have a grandmother still alive. My parents and grandparents are all deceased, so your blog brought tears to my eyes. Could you email me your aunt's blog? I clicked on the address and it didn't work. I would love to rejoice with you by visiting the blog.