Monday, May 19, 2008

Just What We Need

And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus. – Philippians 4:19

With summer right around the corner, our thoughts turn towards one of my favorite words: vacation! Yesterday someone asked if my family has any trips planned while the kids are out of school.

“We are going camping a couple of times,” I answered.

“That’s not really vacation,” came the response. “That’s just a different kind of work.”

I love the way God creates His children to view and appreciate the world in different ways at various stages of life. Ten years ago, I didn’t consider something a vacation unless it involved taking an airplane to a sandy beach where I could sit with an umbrella drink in my hand watching the ocean waves roll in. I certainly wasn’t interested in camping. It did just sound like a different kind of work.

This year, however, with two kids, a dog, and soaring prices on everything, camping is right up my alley. What’s more, I asked my kids where they wanted to go this summer. One called out, “To the mountains!” The other shouted, “Fishing!” Camping perfectly meets our needs for mountains, fishing and cheap. Of course, my need for showering while on vacation will have to wait until we get home, but I can live with that.

Whether we spend our vacation in a borrowed tent or a fancy resort, my favorite part is always having uninterrupted time with my family without the jangling phone or beckoning e-mail. I also like taking a break from the normal routine. When we camp, somehow cooking outside seems less mundane than meal prep done in my kitchen at home. And while vault toilets typically stink, I am grateful that I don’t have to clean them. My kids enjoy the novelty of roasting marshmallows and the freedom of chasing chipmunks and eating tortilla chips straight from the bag. My husband lets out his inner cave man by building the biggest fire the park service allows. Plus, a long weekend of roughing it is often enough time for everyone to feel like they’ve gotten away for some restful fun.

What can your family do this summer to relax, renew and meet everyone’s needs? Maybe I’ll see you around the campfire!

2 comments:

Jan Parrish said...

Roasted marshmallow's over the open fire sounds wonderful and campfires are great too.

Robbie Iobst said...

This year, instead of a "vacation," we are taking a few little one or two day trips to places around Colorado that we haven't seen yet. Can't wait. I refuse to get caught up in the "I must make my summer a dancing circus for my son every day" lie. We are going to swim a lot and just chill like a koolaid popsicle!