Tuesday, May 13, 2008

What I Have In Common With Broadway

“…he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.” – Philippians 1:6


For Mother’s Day, my husband took me to see the play, “A Chorus Line.” This show looks at 17 dancers auditioning to be part of the chorus line in a Broadway play. They each tell their stories of why they dance or want to be part of the show. They share their fears, anxieties and feelings of desperation over “making it” in theater.

And while I haven’t danced much in the past 17 years, I can still relate to those feelings. Later this week, I am going to a writer’s conference where I hope to catch the eye of a publisher for a new devotional I am writing (please say a little prayer for me). Many of my questions sound like those of the dancers in the play, but with a writer’s twist. Will the editors like the idea for my book? Will they think I write well? Will they buy? And if they do, will they pay enough to make a difference?

I think that no matter what field you work in, you run through a similar list of questions in your mind. It probably happens the most with mothering. Am I doing it right? Am I too strict? Am I consistent? While these questions stir the pot of anxiety within us, the one thing that keeps it from boiling over is our faith in Jesus. He knows exactly what we need the minute we need it, even if that minute comes later than we expected. He fully equips us to do the work He sets before us, even when we question our abilities. And best of all, He comforts us and quiets our hearts, whether we present for publishers, audition for a chorus line, or parent our children.

What anxieties stand before you today?

1 comment:

Sandy M said...

Can't wait to hear how you do at the writers' conference! We should go to one together someday...

Love you