Thursday, January 15, 2009

Great Is His Faithfulness

For great is your love, reaching to the heavens; your faithfulness reaches to the skies. – Psalm 57:10

Last week I was lamenting over a bad day of book sales. How silly of me to forget, for even one day, how faithful our God truly is. In the midst of my whining and complaining, He blessed me with contracts on not one, not two, but four pieces I had written for compilation books. Not only that, but this week my book sales are doing great.

How like me to let one set back knock my whole train off its rail. I imagine God must be looking down from Heaven thinking, “How much does this woman need? I bless her socks off day after day, but the minute things get rough she falls apart!” Do you ever feel this way, Mom?

It is not just a bad sales day that can put me in a funk. One of my kids bringing home an uncharacteristically bad grade on an assignment can do it. A sharp comment from my husband on the cleanliness of our home (or more accurately, the lack of cleanliness) can definitely do it. Even a glance at my impossible schedule can do it. When things don’t go my way I tend to panic and start questioning if God really knows what He is doing.

Thankfully, He never lets me go very far with these foolish thoughts before reminding me that He is in control for a reason. It does no good for me to panic because these issues are out of my hands. God calls us to do two things: To love Him with all of our hearts, souls and minds; and to love others as we love ourselves. This means all of the “stuff” like book sales, grades, housekeeping, and the other demands of earthly life are not our priorities. If they truly need to be attended to, He will make it happen.

How grateful I am to serve a God who loves me in spite of my shortcomings, who takes care of the details of my life even when I fight Him for control, and who is patient enough to bless me in spite of my complaints. How is God caring for you this week? I recently heard someone say that if you can’t find anything to be thankful for, thank God for something you haven’t been cursed with! Lets us know what you thank Him for this week.

No comments: