Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Hair Affair

Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight. - 1 Peter 3:3-4

My daughters both have very long, pretty, “little girl” hair. I think their long hair is beautiful, but my husband loves it. He thinks it is exactly the length of hair little girls should have. He likes it when I style their hair in braids, pony tails, and other little girl styles. When it comes to our daughters’ appearance, he generally doesn’t have much to say. His only request is that they have long hair.

The girls, however, are ready for a change. They both want to cut their tresses before summer so they can stay a little cooler. They also want to donate their hair to Locks of Love, an organization that makes real-hair wigs for children without hair due to illness.

I am glad for their generous spirits regarding their hair. I want to make sure they understand that their beauty comes not from their hair or any other physical feature. Rather, it comes from the light of Jesus shining within them. A kind heart looks better than the latest hair style on anyone.

We’ve all come to an agreement (Dad included) that the girls can cut their hair once they’ve got enough to donate Locks of Love’s minimum requirement of ten inches and can still have shoulder-length styles after their cuts.

What are some of the fashion or personal style issues at work in your family right now?

3 comments:

Karen O'Keeffe said...

My niece had virtually never cut her hair. The long, thick single braid had become her trademark. But that all ended on her way to USAFA! She is now a cadet with an adorable bob! And I am proud to say that she sent her long pony tail of to locks of love! Be proud of your princesses!

Jan Parrish said...

I grew out my hair for Locks of Love when I turned forty. I had 4 pony tails of 13" hair. I was never so glad to get my hair cut. It's so thick that I had 4 pony tails. No wonder I was miserable! Never that long again.

Your girls are young enough that they can do this for many years to come.

Robbie Iobst said...

Fashion? My son would wear a sack if I told him to. He's 10 and he grows out of things so fast it's hard to keep up. I don't try to make him "fashionable" but I do try to keep him in things that fit. As best as I can.