Friday, October 23, 2009

Getting Messy With Purpose

Have you ever heard of Kid Concoctions? When I was at the MOPS Convention a few weeks ago, I went to a workshop led by the founders of this ministry that teaches people how to make fun arts and crafts projects at home with their kids.

Something they said during their presentation stuck with me – the pride kids feel in having completed a project is more important than the project itself.

How often I forget the value of the process. I like the example of making a craft. The project may or may not turn out the way I thought it would. It may last a week, a day, or only an hour before finding its way to the trash can. But the memory of creating something together lasts long after the project itself has been thrown away. The skills learned through following directions and seeing a challenge through to the end serve a lifelong purpose. The pride of constructing something tangible that can be shown off to friends or grandparents builds esteem. The value goes on and on.

Sometimes we dread the mess of projects, or we have a long history of failed attempts and we don’t wish to add more. I encourage you to push these issues aside and try again (maybe with a sponge or vacuum nearby).

What personal projects are you putting off because they are too messy, either physically or emotionally? Is there a craft project you can do with your kids this weekend that will remind you of the importance of creating things together?

3 comments:

Jan Parrish said...

I remember making crafts a lot as a kid. It encouraged my imagination and sense of creativity. I can't wait to make crafts with my grand baby.

Anonymous said...

This is so good, Dianne. Creativity needs to be nurtured early, without an emphasis on the outcome. This builds the child's self-esteem so much and is a great chance to bond with them.

Selah the Scribe

Nishant said...

the pride kids feel in having completed a project is more important than the project itself.

Work From Home india