Sunday, September 16, 2007

Travel Trouble

There is no easy way for a mom to leave her children when she goes out of town. I am preparing to head out for the MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) annual convention, and I can feel my children’s growing anxiety, even though I am home fore three more days.

The first year I went to the convention I tried telling them several weeks in advance so they could get used to the idea and ask questions before I left. They seemed appalled at the thought of any mother choosing some old meeting over her precious children. The next year I didn’t mention my trip until the last minute, thinking I would spare them the weeks of worry leading up to my departure. That didn’t work either. My youngest daughter held me tightly around the neck as if saying, “You tricked me into this and I’m not letting you go!” The fact that the sky-cab was trying to take luggage out of my hands didn’t bother her a bit. She was not at all embarrassed to hang there like a necklace while I stood on the curb at the airport.

This year I did not make a big deal about my trip, but casually mentioned it about two weeks ago. My youngest child keeps asking me when I am leaving. I think she is afraid I’ll pull another “trick” like last year. My oldest daughter simply asked, “Is this the last year you are going?” I sure hope so – I don’t know how much more of this leaving stuff my heart can take!

Do you have any tips or strategies for when you leave town without your kids? Please share!

2 comments:

Jan Parrish said...

LOL. All I can say is they will appreciate you more when you get back. I don't think there is an easy answer. I used to leave a little gift on their pillow for the night I left and hid another in their room for an especially bad day.

Jan Parrish said...

Diane - You are tagged. Visit my blog for more information.