Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Greasing The Squeaks

But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. – Matthew 6:33

Prioritizing is often hard for me. I assume it is difficult for most moms. After all, what woman can put the needs of one of her children over those of her others? And who hasn’t, after a long and tiring day, had to decide between sleep and honoring her husband’s request to discuss the family budget?

We learn that the “proper” way to prioritize is to put God first, then our spouses, then our children. Unfortunately, life isn’t so black and white. If simply saying, “I’m sorry, angel, but I have to spend some time in prayer, and then rub Daddy’s back, then I’ll come find your pacifier,” would quiet a screaming baby, we would have peaceful homes. However, we all know life doesn’t work that way.

The saying about the squeaky wheel getting the grease didn’t become popular without reason. We give our attention to the loudest thing in our environment at any time, and while occasionally it is my husband, it is never God. Even if He tried to get my attention audibly, the clamor of my ever-talking kids would probably drown out His effort. Perhaps this is why most children are scared silent of thunder – it is God’s way of getting them to be quiet so He can talk!

Another place I have trouble prioritizing is in my quiet time. Since I write about God, I often compose during the early morning hours I devote to Him. Usually I find this time brings us closer together, but sometimes it is just work. That is not what this time is meant for, but if I don’t do God’s work during the time I set aside for Him, then I have to do it during my family’s time. Priorities, priorities, priorities.

I keep telling myself that this situation will sort itself out once my youngest child is in school all day, but that is not for another year. What’s more, I am certain that is not how God wants us to live. He does not mean for us to wish away the blessings of today while we anxiously wait for tomorrow. We all know the grass is never greener in another year, it is just different.

In the end, I decide there is no value in fretting over this question of priorities. God knows my heart, and when all is said and done, that is truly more important than whether I spent my time in the right place today or not. If I consistently get it wrong, I bet He’ll send some thunder to let me know.

No comments: