Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Loathing The Learning Curve

“For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge…” - 2 Peter 1:5

All week long, my 5-year-old looks forward to her gymnastics class. She enjoys the other kids and feels a strong sense of accomplishment when she masters a new skill. However, the period between the introduction of a trick and her successful performance of it causes a great deal of anxiety. This morning I asked, “Are you ready for a great day at gymnastics?” She replied with a rather glum, “I guess so.”

I can relate to her sentiment. There are so many times when I face a challenge I am eager to meet, but the learning process required to succeed is daunting. Sometimes I even know I am embarking on something God prepared for me and equipped me to do, yet my nerves still pull me back.

When fear grips my daughter, I give her a big hug and kiss before pushing her to a place where she has to try. I tell her it doesn’t matter if she does things perfectly. What matters is that she does her best without giving up. I am blessed to have friends giving the same encouragement to me.

What do you say to your children when a big learning curve stands between them and what they want to accomplish? What do you say to yourself in this situation?

1 comment:

Robbie Iobst said...

Dianne, Great post! I tell Noah just to do his best and have fun. I tell myself, "Dear God Robbie, don't screw up!" I have a little less grace for myself. I think a good lesson for me is to talk to myself the way I talk to Noah. "Robbie do your best and have fun." Yep, I like that a lot more!