Monday, April 21, 2008

Taking a “Sick” Day

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life. – Proverbs 13:12

Today my seven-year-old came home early from school. When I answered the ringing phone, I heard a tiny voice say, “Mommy, I don’t feel good.”

“I’ll be right there,” I assured her.

I remember having sick days as a kid. That lousy feeling of being ill was softened by the anticipation of getting a day under the covers, in front of the TV. If I was lucky enough to have a tummy ache, I’d get a clear soda like 7-Up or ginger ale – an extra special treat.

Additionally, a sick day meant someone stayed home with me. Or even better, someone came to pick me up early. To hear the voice on the other end of the school office phone say, “I’ll be there,” made me feel better than any cold syrup ever could. It told me I was more important than work.

Now I don’t get sick days. No mom does. But every now and then, it would be nice to stay in bed and watch trash all day. Trash that isn’t animated.

I think I am going to declare a sick day. Well, at least a sick afternoon while my kids are at school. I’ll make some cocoa and curl up under a blanket, and let the vacuuming go for another day. I’ll ignore the kids’ socks that litter the family room floor, and I’ll let voice mail tell all of the charities and pollsters calling mid-day that I am simply not available. I’ll ask my husband to pick up dinner, and maybe he will come home early, just because I am important.

Even if I’m not really sick.

1 comment:

Robbie Iobst said...

Amen! You and I both deserve this! Thanks for making me smile and...I am not sure why...tear up a little! I love the way you write, Dianne!