Monday, July 7, 2008

Glad This Isn’t Renaissance England

I will be glad and rejoice in you; I will sing praise to your name, O Most High – Psalm 9:2

This 4th of July weekend, I had an unusual opportunity to gain a new appreciation for American life by comparing modern day festivities with those of historic England.

On Friday, July 4, my husband and I took our kids to a holiday celebration in the town where we live. We met up with some friends and the kids enjoyed bouncing in inflatables, playing games, and listening to live music while face painters and balloon twisters worked nearby. When it got dark, fireworks danced across the sky, choreographed to fit with the accompaniment of patriotic songs, including “God Bless America” and “God Bless the USA.”

Not only did we have a wonderful time, but I was filled with thanksgiving over having the opportunity to celebrate both my God and my country openly and publicly in a government-sponsored event at our Town Hall.

The following day, we went to the Colorado Renaissance Festival. The step back in time to the days of knights, nobility, and tournament jousting was enthralling. Alyssa was enchanted by the long, pretty dresses. Lauren liked the swords and the different games of skill.

And while we had just as much fun at the Festival as we did at the 4th of July celebration, I couldn’t help but notice the stark difference between the two lifestyles.

I am grateful that I don’t have a king trying to fight for God’s place in my life. While I don’t always agree with the way our government spends tax dollars, I am pleased the money isn’t used for jousting tournaments. I am thankful I can wear comfortable, sanitary clothes rather than dresses that skim the dirty ground all day. I am blessed to live comfortably without having to work a messy, backbreaking job just to scrape by. The life of a medieval washerwoman, for example, is a far cry from today’s dry cleaner.

Most of all, I am glad to live in a time and place I can be proud of. I am happy my children call this country home. Despite its issues and difficulties, I consider it a blessing to live in the United States of America.

Unlike the women of renaissance England, I can worship God whenever and however I want. I have the opportunity to change my circumstances through ingenuity and hard work without needing the permission of the president or anyone else. And best of all, I can gather with my family and friends in public to celebrate our good fortune.

God bless this country and the service men and women who fight to keep us free.

2 comments:

Robbie Iobst said...

Amen and Amen!

Jan Parrish said...

We are definitely blessed in this country.