Monday, July 21, 2008

Making It On Her Own

I have great confidence in you; I take great pride in you. I am greatly encouraged; in all our troubles my joy knows no bounds. – 2 Corinthians 7:4

This morning I dropped Lauren off at her first day of Girl Scout Camp. She didn’t know any of the other girls there, and I could tell she was nervous because my little talker was suddenly very quiet. Despite her nerves, however, she confidently found a spot to sit and got busy working on a craft. As I walked away, I knew she would be fine.

On the journey from birth to adulthood, kids develop and practice their independence in different ways and in a variety of settings. Some of these are scary for us moms, but some feel like the right step toward greater maturity and responsibility for our children.

The risky ones get a lot of attention. We fret and worry and confide in our girlfriends when our children take steps that make us uncomfortable. The easy ones, however, seem to get lost in the shuffle of daily life. We don't always recognize that feeling comfortable when letting go of our children is a true mark of development as a mom.

I challenge you to celebrate your own growth as a mom the next time you find peace in your child’s budding independence. It is a big deal for both of you! Congratulations!

If your child has found a new level of self sufficiency this summer, share your story with us.

No comments: