Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Is Your Brain Connected to Your Body?

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. – Philippians 4:13 (NKJV)

For the past two weeks, my oldest daughter, Lauren, has been participating in a gymnastics camp. She has never taken a true gymnastics class before, and I decided that she really needed to learn how to do a cartwheel before entering the third grade in August. Of course, her sister and I tried to teach her, but the fact that we can both do cartwheels can’t make up for our “mom” and “little sister” status. Surely, we don’t know what we are talking about. I decided to send her to a professional.

When I signed Lauren up for camp, I told the coach, “My only goal for this is to get her cartwheeling!” He assured me he would work with her, but as the days passed, I wasn’t seeing the progress I hoped for.

Yesterday, the coach pulled me aside and told me he’d figured out the problem. “She’s left-sided,” he said, “but she wants to be right-sided. Her brain and her body aren’t on the same page.”

This must be a genetic trait because my brain and body rarely work in sync. My head knows it is time to write, but my body won’t sit still in the chair. My heart knows I need to spend time in prayer, but my mind wanders off on its own agenda.

Thankfully, God understands this weakness, and when push comes to shove, He strengthens my mind and body so they can work together to accomplish His purposes as He sees fit. Do you think His purpose includes cartwheels?

5 comments:

Robbie Iobst said...

Dianne, I love to dance, but my body yells no to certain moves. Not because they hurt, but because I just can't seem to move that way. :0) Your post has given me hope and a possible answer. Noah had to learn sommersalts to be able to do flipturns in swimming. It took him a month of practicing. Finally the "sides" came together. I guess this is another way God slips in lessons of perseverance, or in my case, acceptance. :0)

Danica Favorite said...

This sounds like me trying to do workout videos... I get all confuzzled when they tell me right, but to my view, they're going left

Anonymous said...

It agree, very good information

Anonymous said...

It is a valuable phrase

Anonymous said...

It can be discussed infinitely..


I can look for the reference to a site with the information on a theme interesting you. Hot Health